Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Endless incredulousness

OK...
Is there something wrong with me that no one will tell me about, like some giant gorrilla that is sitting at the table during Thanksgiving dinner that no one talks about?

I mean, come on people! Why the heck can't I get a date? And I was asking her to the friggin' BALLET! It's the "Nutcracker!" Thats like uber-romantic, or so I am told...

Lemme fill in the source of my frustration... Last year about this time of year, a friend that I had been flirting with and talking to at work and I decide that we will actually take a go at an actual dating relationship. I am really jazzed and trying to be spontanious, thoughtful, and romantic, among other "prized" attributes, that I always hear that girls are supposed to be desiring. In hindsight, I may have gone over the top in that I bought her a black evening dress to go along for the evening (now I had checked with her peers, my female co-workers and various other female sources as to the wisdom of this idea).I was doing this all along the lines of thinking, "what girl doesn't like to get dressed up?" Another supposed girl thing, right?

What happens? Long story short, she stands me up a few hours before the actual event and I go by myself. Now don't get me wrong... I actually like the ballet, on top of that, I actually like getting dressed up. (I own three suits for exactly that, though I don't have many opportunities to use them). I had a great time, even though I was by myself.

Fast forward to this year, a few weeks ago. I decide to actually ask out a friend of mine from the Army, who is a Christian and goes to school near here. Same deal, I get the date set-up during a group outing to the Dead Sea Scrolls, but then when I ask her out for coffee she gives me the " I am really not in a place to be dating" line. Now, I don't really doubt her sincerity as she is capable of great introspection and may have found something that she really wants to work on before she engages in a dating relationship. Great... but, excepting that possibility, I am left with a horrible track record. I haven't "dated" in over 18 months, while being told that I am "going to make a great husband" and " I just haven't found the right one yet." Shallow solice for someone who has been through all the major venues of singles really available to me, church, school, internet, friends and networking, hell, I even tried the club scene while I was in Missouri. WTF am I supposed to be trying, the produce isle? (Artichoke hearts aside and country song's not withstanding)

Seriously, am I being deluded by society to think that women actually want a man who values communication, chivalry and virtue? That a guy who is quite comfortable watching and participating in dance, theatre and the arts while still being masculine enought to go pound down the hoops or toss the pigskin is appealing? How about one that knows how to cook and is willing to, opens the door for a lady, walks between a woman and traffic, offers his coat when she's cold? Damn, I live alone and I STILL put the seat down when I finish!

I admit freely that I am not Brad Pitt or McDreamy, but the fact that I listen to women and actually know who McDreamy is because I listen should get me some points, right? How about the fact that there is nothing that I would rather do than spend the rest of my life discovering the depths of a womans heart, with all its nooks and crannies, like the fact that she only likes Hershey's syrup on her ice cream when its raining, or that she has a special attachment to Troll figurines from her childhood, all the while knowing and discovering how the two of us reflect God's diametrical creation in each similarity and difference. I want to share my soul with someone and through that discover the intimacy that Christ seeks with his Bride, the Church.

I know the quips about "nice guy's finish last," but all I want to do right now is finish.

No comments: